Pages

Saturday 9 March 2013

John Abraham, Anurag Kashyap team up for No Smoking 2

No fire in this smoke: John Abraham in a still from No Smoking. The film has been panned by the critics.
Actor John Abraham reveals that he has spoken to Anurag Kashyap about working on the sequel to No Smoking.

Back in 2007, John Abraham starred in Anurag Kashyap’s psychological thriller, No Smoking. Although the film bombed at the box-office, it became the talk of the town thanks to its
neo-noir theme. Six years later, John discloses that he and Anurag might team up for a sequel.

“I would love to (work in the No Smoking sequel). Anurag is working on his baby (Bombay Velvet) right now. And he is excited about that. I think it’s going to be a beautiful film. But I have told him to make No Smoking 2. I said, ‘People make sequels out of hit films. Let us make a sequel out of a flop movie’. He’s damn excited about it,” says John.

Although John never worked with Anurag after No Smoking, he calls it his “favourite film”. Rating his performance in the film as “his best till date”, the actor goes on to recount an “interesting connection”. “I don’t know if Anil Kapoor told you this, but the reason he did Slumdog Millionaire (2008) was because his son’s (Harsh) favourite film is No Smoking and Anurag and Danny Boyle were good friends.

So Harsh said, ‘I don’t care dad, you have to do this film (Slumdog) because of that connection. It’s crazy. No Smoking had nothing to do with it but still something to do with it. It’s a film I really believed in and loved. I’d love to do films like that even today. I know they don’t work commercially like a Housefull 2 (2012) or a Race 2, but I love such cinema,” says John Abraham.